31 January 2010

Pyjama day today... no-one got dressed until 2pm! We played SIMS, tidied, moved furniture, washed clothes, made paper, baked cakes and did homework. Lola's neutrophils are dropping and despite a valiant effort to prove she was full of beans and "completely well", we both knew she was not going to make it to see 'Imagined Village' this evening. Having made the decision to stay at home and rest, she was clearly relieved... and so was I. I'm hoping against hope that we can keep infections at bay this time and stay out of hospital until the next chemo, so have decided we are going to be reclusive this week until her levels pick up. It's a difficult call, keeping Lola out of school, but seeing how low she gets when she needs to go in with a temperature, my judgement tells me it's worth it. We may end up with the tidiest house in the village by Friday...... but somehow, I suspect not!

Thanks Charlotte, for the link you posted to Ollie's Story. I was captivated and, obviously, enormously moved by her web diary. I think it will be hugely reassuring to Lola to see someone a little further down the line with the same diagnosis.

The girls and I are sending huge waves of love and strength to Alex and his family as he heads off to Bristol tonight. We'll be thinking of you and wishing and willing for the treatment to go smoothly and successfully. Elaine, don't worry, I will keep Costas at Addenbrooks in business in your absence... and Nat, if you ever feel daring enough to hang out in the company of THREE girls, you are so, so welcome!!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fab day, and if you get bored with tidying your house, then come and tidy mine because it seems to be rapidly going downhill!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helen, just caught up with the blog!!! Thanks for the kind words - Lola is a real inspiration to Alex and I - chemo so far has been hard, but I think he is thinking "Lola can do it - so can I" No Costa at Bristol - althought the trendy shoppong centre sports 3 starbucks, 3 costa and a Hotel Chocolat coffee shop...... am saving it for when he is out of isolation! Nurses are very free with the tea, but its not the same!

    So, Lola my lovely, keep going - promise I will send you a picture of Alex when the hair goes!!! (And a little tip for your next stay in hospital - he has a NERF dart gun, and a picture of his best friends on the wall - lots of shooting (nurses have to duck!!!) it really passes the time!)

    We will be in contact soon, lotsof love
    Elaine and Alex (by the way - Nt is horrified by thought of a day with GIRLS!!!!!)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete