06 June 2010

Busy.. busy...busy!

Long time, no post!

I think I can safely say that when I'm quiet (on the blog, before anyone comments!) then things are super busy and/or approaching a kind of slightly frantic normality. So much has happened since the last post, small but significant moments. Lola's chemo continues to run, by the skin of our teeth, to time. That's fantastic as it looks more and more likely that she will make it to some, if not all, of the Year 6 trip to York....something I never dreamed could happen 6 months ago. More importantly, she might be able to start High School, along with her peers, on time.

Lola and I met with the High School SENCO and talked about plans for ensuring that she doesn't miss out, as much as possible, on all that crucial friend-making, settling in time. I almost felt surplus to requirements as Lola confidently chatted away about her experience and hopes for the future. I was so proud of her positive spirit and enthusiasm and incredibly grateful to Chelmo school for keeping her so close to heart and involved, despite her infrequent attendance this year. I feel the same towards Handford Hall on my behalf.

I managed a trip to Orford castle with Greta's class as a parent helper, and LOVED it, despite the embarrassment of having to stop the coach for a child who needed a wee... and just happened to be my daughter. Sadly, we didn't make it to Hebden Bridge for Ben's Charity Walk.... just a little too far too close to chemo. He and pals did amazingly, the photos were fantastic and we felt so proud of them (especially Dot!) THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU xxx We have however managed a night in Hertford with the gorgeous Aunties Sarah and Caroline, barbecuing on the island, picnicing in the sun and trawling the park in search of the elusive band we could hear but not see. Fun and ice cream all round.

We have also traded in the big silver number for a super-efficient and (at the moment) clean, black Scenic. Lola somehow managed to sort out a deal involving bluetooth phone and ipod player while I was nervously test-driving.... Junior Apprentice next year?... God, i hope not...

And..... I have been to WORK!! I loved it and felt so privileged to be back. Everyone made me so welcome and I am incredibly in awe of how Clare has managed to do her own job and mine at the same time. Did you ever go home? I am immersing myself gently and back in full force in a few weeks. I honestly didn't appreciate how important my job was to me until I couldn't do it any more. It's not something i will take for granted in future.

Half term has been crazy. Nancy has completed a 5 day sailing course and passed her Stage 2... go Nancy! She LOVED it and has informed she would like to do a course every holiday from now on... watch out Ellen McArthur. I'm hoping she will be able to get lots of practice at Alton Water with Mia and Ollie over the summer. She has even offered to teach me, having watched me hopelessly slide from one side of the dinghy to the other when I went out with Joe!

Greta spent a day at the stables with Eva on a Pony Day and more importantly, became 6 this week! We picnicked on Friday and then on Saturday had a Jungle Party. Thanks so much to Manda and Paul for bravely lending us your house to host the fun. The sun shone and Lola and Nancy were brilliant party organisers... i just watched, then filled bin bags afterwards. Cousin Lucy slept over and Sylvanians ruled the house this morning.

Last, but absolutely not least, we booked a holiday!! Yippeeeeeee.......
Joe, Maya and Luca are spending several weeks of August in England, and for three nights we are camping in a tipi on an eco-campsite in Norfolk! It was a spontaneous but completely unanimous decision. The girls and I were skipping round the kitchen while thumbs up were wiggling across the screen from Italy via Skype. Please, please cross everything for good health and low temperatures (in human beings, I mean!).... we can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment